emotional_resiliency

 1. Simple Summary

Why emotions sometimes take over

Your brain is designed to protect you and keep you alive.

When your brain detects danger or stress, it activates the fight-or-flight response.

What happens:

  • Heart beats faster.
  • Blood pressure rises.
  • More oxygen goes to the brain.
  • Muscles become tense.
  • Energy increases.

At the same time, your body temporarily reduces less urgent functions:

  • Digestion slows down.
  • Appetite may disappear.
  • Reproduction and growth are suppressed.

Reason: Your body thinks survival is more important than anything else.


The emotional brain vs. the thinking brain

Amygdala

The amygdala is the brain's alarm system.

It creates:

  • Fear
  • Anxiety
  • Emotional reactions

Prefrontal Cortex (PFC)

The PFC is the brain's manager.

It helps you:

  • Think logically
  • Make decisions
  • Control emotions
  • Solve problems

When stress becomes intense:

Amygdala ON → PFC OFF

That's why people sometimes:

  • Say things they regret.
  • Get angry quickly.
  • Panic.
  • Make poor decisions.

It's not because they are weak.

It's because the emotional brain temporarily overrides the thinking brain.


Emotional resilience

Emotional resilience = the ability to recover from stress and stay calm.

Research shows resilient people have a strong connection between:

PFC ↔ Amygdala

The PFC can tell the amygdala:

"Relax. Everything is okay."

As a result:

  • Negative emotions fade faster.
  • Stress is easier to manage.
  • Recovery is quicker.

Can you strengthen this connection?

Yes.

The brain is like a muscle.

The more you practice, the stronger the connection becomes.


Mindfulness helps

Mindfulness means:

Observe your thoughts without judging them.

Instead of:

"This thought is terrible."

You simply notice:

"I am having this thought."

This activates the PFC.

Over time:

  • Emotional control improves.
  • Stress feels less overwhelming.
  • You react more thoughtfully.

Positive mindset and reward system

Another brain area is the:

Nucleus Accumbens

It is linked to:

  • Pleasure
  • Motivation
  • Reward

People with a more positive emotional state often have stronger connections between:

PFC ↔ Nucleus Accumbens


How to strengthen it

Practice:

  • Self-control
  • Delayed gratification
  • Planning
  • Goal setting

Example:

Instead of:

Check social media immediately.

Do:

Finish work first, then check social media.

This trains your brain to:

  • Be patient.
  • Stay focused.
  • Build emotional strength.

2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

efficient

works well with little waste

My brain tries to be efficient.

threat

danger

The tiger was a threat.

response

reaction

My body responded quickly.

anxiety

worry or nervousness

I felt anxiety before the exam.

fear

feeling of danger

Fear made me run away.

stress

mental pressure

Work caused stress.

resilience

ability to recover

She showed resilience after failure.

regulate

control

I regulate my emotions.

mindfulness

observing thoughts calmly

Mindfulness helps me relax.

reward

something positive received

The reward motivated me.

motivation

desire to act

Motivation helps me study.

self-restraint

controlling impulses

Self-restraint stopped me from checking my phone.

consistency

doing something regularly

Success requires consistency.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Fight-or-flight response

Meaning:

Automatic survival reaction.

Example:

My fight-or-flight response activated during the emergency.


On the top of the food chain

Meaning:

Having no natural predators.

Example:

Humans are on the top of the food chain.


Think critically

Meaning:

Analyze carefully before deciding.

Example:

Good leaders think critically.


Manage emotions

Meaning:

Control feelings effectively.

Example:

Meditation helps me manage emotions.


Build connections

Meaning:

Strengthen neural pathways.

Example:

Mindfulness helps build brain connections.


Delay rewards

Meaning:

Wait for a bigger benefit later.

Example:

Successful people often delay rewards.


Practice self-control

Meaning:

Resist impulses.

Example:

I practice self-control by avoiding distractions.


Positive set point

Meaning:

Natural tendency toward positive emotions.

Example:

Some people have a higher positive set point.


4. Important Sentences (Learn Third)

Pattern 1: Cause → Effect

When stress increases, the amygdala becomes more active.

When the amygdala becomes active, logical thinking decreases.

When we practice mindfulness, emotional control improves.


Pattern 2: Explanation

The amygdala is responsible for fear and anxiety.

The prefrontal cortex helps us think logically.

Emotional resilience is the ability to recover from stress.


Pattern 3: Possibility

You can strengthen the connection between the PFC and the amygdala.

You can improve emotional resilience through practice.

You can train your brain by delaying rewards.


5. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Memorize this sequence because it follows the logic of the article.

Step 1 — Introduce the topic

The brain is designed to protect us and keep us alive.


Step 2 — Explain fight-or-flight

When we experience stress or danger, the brain activates the fight-or-flight response.


Step 3 — Describe symptoms

As a result, our heart rate increases, our muscles become tense, and our body prepares for action.


Step 4 — Introduce the amygdala

The amygdala is responsible for emotions such as fear and anxiety.


Step 5 — Introduce the PFC

The prefrontal cortex helps us think logically and make decisions.


Step 6 — Explain the problem

During intense stress, the amygdala becomes highly active and the prefrontal cortex becomes less active.


Step 7 — Explain resilience

Emotionally resilient people have a stronger connection between the prefrontal cortex and the amygdala.


Step 8 — Explain mindfulness

One way to strengthen this connection is through mindfulness, which involves observing thoughts without judging them.


Step 9 — Explain reward system

Another important brain area is the nucleus accumbens, which is related to pleasure, motivation, and rewards.


Step 10 — Give practical advice

By practicing self-control and delaying rewards, we can strengthen important brain connections and improve emotional resilience.


6. 60-Second Natural Speaking Version

If someone asks you about this topic, you can say:

The brain is designed to protect us. When we face stress or danger, it activates the fight-or-flight response, which increases heart rate, energy, and muscle tension. The amygdala is responsible for emotions such as fear and anxiety, while the prefrontal cortex helps us think logically. During intense stress, the amygdala becomes more active and the prefrontal cortex becomes less active, which can lead to poor decisions. Emotional resilience depends on strong connections between these brain areas. We can strengthen these connections through mindfulness, self-control, and delayed rewards. With consistent practice, we can improve emotional regulation and develop a more positive mindset.

Why this learning order works

  1. Words → build vocabulary.
  2. Phrases → combine words naturally.
  3. Sentences → understand grammar and ideas.
  4. Sequential speaking flow → organize thoughts logically.
  5. 60-second summary → speak fluently without memorizing the entire article.

This follows how native speakers usually learn complex topics: vocabulary → chunks (phrases) → sentence patterns → connected explanations.

 

1. Simple Summary

What are conditioned emotions?

Conditioning means that many of our emotions, reactions, beliefs, and behaviors are learned from past experiences and the people around us.

By adulthood, we have developed automatic ways of responding to life.

For example:

  • One person reacts to stress with anger.
  • Another reacts with anxiety.
  • Another shuts down.
  • Another becomes excited by challenges.

These reactions are often learned rather than naturally chosen.


The "Big Lie"

Many people believe:

"I am completely the way I am because of my own choices."

The text argues that this is not fully true.

Our:

  • Parents
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Teachers
  • Culture
  • Past experiences

all influence how we think and react.


Learned reactions

As children, we look to adults to learn how to react.

Imagine a child seeing a dog for the first time.

If the parent smiles:

"The dog is friendly."

The child feels safe.

If the parent looks scared:

"The dog is dangerous."

The child feels afraid.

This is called vicarious conditioning.

We learn by observing others.


Conditioned emotions

Some emotions can be helpful.

Anxiety

Positive side:

  • Motivates action.
  • Encourages preparation.
  • Helps us study for exams.

Negative side:

  • We may become dependent on anxiety.
  • We feel we need anxiety before taking action.

Example:

"I only work when I feel stressed."


Sadness

Positive side:

  • Helps us rest and recover.

Negative side:

  • May become a learned way to gain attention or sympathy.

Example:

"People comfort me when I'm sad."

Over time, sadness may become a default response.


Conditioned words

Words can trigger emotional reactions.

Example:

If your parents always said:

"We need to talk."

before punishment,

then as an adult those words may instantly create anxiety.

Even when nothing is wrong.

The words became emotionally conditioned.


Learned helplessness

Learned helplessness happens when people repeatedly experience situations they feel unable to control.

Examples:

  • A stressful job.
  • A toxic relationship.
  • Financial struggles.

Eventually people begin believing:

"Nothing I do will change anything."

As a result:

  • They stop trying.
  • They stop looking for solutions.
  • They miss opportunities.

The good news

Conditioning is learned.

What is learned can be changed.

The text introduces a process called extinction.

Step 1

Become aware.

Recognize:

"This is a conditioned reaction."


Step 2

Expose yourself to new possibilities.

Show your brain:

"There are other ways to think and react."


Step 3

Replace the old reaction.

Choose a healthier response.

Practice it repeatedly.


Step 4

Be patient.

New conditioning takes time.

Celebrate small improvements.


2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

conditioning

learned mental programming

Childhood conditioning affects adults.

influence

ability to affect someone

Parents influence children.

belief system

collection of beliefs

My belief system shapes my decisions.

attitude

way of thinking

She has a positive attitude.

react

respond emotionally

I react calmly under pressure.

challenge

difficult situation

The exam was a challenge.

genuine

real and authentic

I want to live a genuine life.

reinforcement

encouragement of behavior

Praise acts as reinforcement.

punishment

negative consequence

The child feared punishment.

anxiety

nervousness or worry

Anxiety motivated me to prepare.

sympathy

care and understanding

She wanted sympathy from others.

helplessness

feeling powerless

He experienced helplessness.

awareness

conscious understanding

Awareness is the first step.

expose

introduce to something

Expose yourself to new ideas.

extinction

weakening an old learned response

Therapy can help extinction of fears.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Learned response

Meaning:

An automatic reaction developed through experience.

Example:

Fear of public speaking can be a learned response.


Shaped by others

Meaning:

Influenced by people around us.

Example:

Many beliefs are shaped by others.


Look for a way out

Meaning:

Search for a solution.

Example:

She looked for a way out of the problem.


Brush under the rug

Meaning:

Ignore a problem.

Example:

They brushed the issue under the rug.


Feel trapped

Meaning:

Feel unable to leave a situation.

Example:

He felt trapped in his job.


Develop awareness

Meaning:

Become conscious of something.

Example:

Mindfulness helps develop awareness.


Break the pattern

Meaning:

Stop repeating a habit.

Example:

Therapy helped her break the pattern.


Replace the reaction

Meaning:

Choose a new response.

Example:

He replaced anger with calm communication.


Celebrate small successes

Meaning:

Appreciate gradual progress.

Example:

Celebrate small successes during recovery.


4. Important Sentences (Learn Third)

Pattern 1: Cause → Effect

Because of our experiences, we develop automatic reactions.

Because he felt powerless, he stopped trying.

Because anxiety motivated action, it became a conditioned response.


Pattern 2: Learning from others

Children learn emotional responses by observing adults.

We often copy the behaviors of people around us.

Many beliefs are shaped by our environment.


Pattern 3: Change is possible

Conditioned responses can be changed.

We can replace old reactions with healthier ones.

Awareness allows us to create new habits.


5. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Follow this order when speaking.


Step 1 — Introduce conditioning

Conditioning refers to the learned emotional and behavioral patterns we develop throughout life.


Step 2 — Explain where it comes from

These patterns are influenced by our parents, family, culture, and experiences.


Step 3 — Explain learned reactions

As children, we observe adults and learn how to react to situations.


Step 4 — Introduce vicarious conditioning

This process is called vicarious conditioning, which means learning by watching others.


Step 5 — Explain conditioned emotions

Certain emotions such as anxiety and sadness can become conditioned responses.


Step 6 — Give anxiety example

Anxiety can motivate action, but some people learn to depend on anxiety before they take action.


Step 7 — Explain conditioned words

Even specific words can trigger emotional reactions because of past experiences.


Step 8 — Explain learned helplessness

Repeated negative experiences can lead to learned helplessness, where people believe they cannot change their situation.


Step 9 — Explain extinction

Fortunately, conditioned responses can be weakened and replaced through awareness and practice.


Step 10 — Conclude

By recognizing old patterns and practicing healthier responses, we can create positive change in our lives.


6. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

Conditioning refers to the emotional and behavioral patterns we learn from our experiences and the people around us. By adulthood, many of our reactions become automatic. As children, we learn by observing our parents and other adults, a process known as vicarious conditioning. For example, if adults react to stress with anxiety or anger, children may learn similar responses. Emotions such as anxiety and sadness can become conditioned. Anxiety may motivate action, but some people eventually feel they need anxiety in order to act. Certain words can also trigger emotional reactions because of past experiences. Another important concept is learned helplessness, which occurs when people repeatedly face situations they feel unable to control. Over time, they may stop believing that change is possible. The good news is that conditioned responses can be changed. By developing awareness, exposing ourselves to new possibilities, and practicing healthier reactions, we can gradually replace old patterns and build a more positive emotional life.


7. Reasoning Structure (How Native Speakers Explain This Topic)

Notice the logical flow:

Past Experiences

Conditioning

Learned Reactions

Conditioned Emotions

Learned Helplessness

Awareness

New Experiences

New Responses

Positive Change

Memorize this chain.

When speaking, think:

"Where did my reaction come from? → How was it learned? → What problems can it create? → How can it be changed?"

This sequence makes your explanation sound natural, organized, and easy for listeners to follow.

 

1. Super Simple Summary

The Main Idea

There are two types of fear:

1. Situational Fear (Real Fear)

This happens when there is a real danger right now.

Examples:

  • A car is about to hit you.
  • A dog is attacking you.
  • Your house is on fire.

Your brain activates:

Fight-or-Flight Response

to help protect you.

This fear is useful.


2. Psychological Fear (Imagined Fear)

This happens when there is no immediate danger.

You are afraid of:

  • What might happen
  • Future problems
  • Worst-case scenarios

Examples:

  • What if I fail?
  • What if they reject me?
  • What if I lose my job?
  • What if I get sick?

Nothing dangerous is happening right now.

But your brain reacts as if danger exists.


The Core Difference

Situational Fear

There is a real threat.

Example:

A car suddenly swerves into your lane.

Your body reacts instantly.

When the danger passes:

Your body calms down.


Psychological Fear

There is no real threat.

Only thoughts.

Example:

You imagine losing your job next year.

Your body reacts today.

The problem:

The danger never arrives.

So your body never gets the signal:

"You're safe now."


Why Psychological Fear Feels Worse

When real danger ends:

Brain says:

"It's over."

Body relaxes.


When imagined danger exists:

Brain says:

"Maybe something bad will happen."

Then:

"What if it gets worse?"

Then:

"What if I can't handle it?"

Then:

"Something must be wrong."

This creates:

Stress

Anxiety

Fear

Panic


Important Insight

You can handle:

Reality

But you cannot solve:

Imaginary future problems

That's why many people say:

"It wasn't as bad as I expected."

The imagination was worse than reality.


Why Modern Humans Struggle

Our ancestors feared:

  • Tigers
  • Predators
  • Physical danger

Today's fears are:

  • Deadlines
  • Bosses
  • Money problems
  • Relationships
  • Social pressure

The brain often treats all of them like:

"Danger! Danger!"

even when our life is not actually threatened.


Solution

Catch the emotion early.

Before:

Uncertainty

Anxiety

Fear

Panic

Use awareness.

Remind yourself:

"This is a thought, not a threat."

Then:

  • Change your focus.
  • Change your environment.
  • Take useful action.
  • Calm your body.

2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Fear Words

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

fear

feeling of danger

I felt fear during the storm.

threat

possible danger

The dog was a threat.

danger

something harmful

Fire is a danger.

panic

extreme fear

She panicked before the exam.

anxiety

worry about the future

Anxiety kept him awake.

stress

pressure or tension

Work caused stress.

worry

repeated anxious thinking

Worry makes problems feel bigger.

uncertainty

not knowing what will happen

Uncertainty creates discomfort.


Brain & Body Words

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

adrenaline

energy hormone

Adrenaline helped him react quickly.

cortisol

stress hormone

Cortisol rises during stress.

instinctive

automatic

Running was instinctive.

response

reaction

My response was immediate.

normalize

return to normal

My heart rate normalized.

physiological

related to the body

Fear causes physiological changes.

heartbeat

heart activity

My heartbeat increased.


Thinking Words

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

imagination

mental images

My imagination created fear.

cope

handle successfully

I can cope with challenges.

escalate

become worse

Anxiety can escalate quickly.

de-escalate

reduce intensity

Deep breathing can de-escalate stress.

spiral

get worse repeatedly

Negative thoughts spiral.

phantom

not real

The threat was a phantom.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Fight-or-flight response

Meaning:

Body's survival system.

Example:

The fight-or-flight response activated immediately.


Immediate threat

Meaning:

Danger happening right now.

Example:

The snake was an immediate threat.


Living in fear

Meaning:

Constantly feeling afraid.

Example:

Living in fear is exhausting.


Fear of what might happen

Meaning:

Anxiety about the future.

Example:

Most anxiety is fear of what might happen.


Enter survival mode

Meaning:

Focus only on protection.

Example:

Fear causes us to enter survival mode.


Return to normal

Meaning:

Calm down again.

Example:

My breathing returned to normal.


On edge

Meaning:

Nervous and easily upset.

Example:

I've been on edge all week.


Out of control

Meaning:

Unable to manage something.

Example:

The situation felt out of control.


Spiral into fear

Meaning:

Gradually become more fearful.

Example:

Worry can spiral into fear.


Catch yourself

Meaning:

Notice your behavior early.

Example:

Catch yourself before anxiety grows.


4. Important Sentences (Learn Third)

Pattern 1: Real Fear

Situational fear occurs when there is an immediate threat.

Fear helps us react quickly to danger.

The fight-or-flight response keeps us safe.


Pattern 2: Psychological Fear

Psychological fear is fear of something that might happen.

The danger exists in the imagination.

The body reacts even when there is no real threat.


Pattern 3: Escalation

Worry can develop into anxiety.

Anxiety can develop into fear.

Fear can develop into panic.


Pattern 4: Self-Control

Awareness helps prevent fear from escalating.

We can change our focus before anxiety grows.

Early intervention makes emotional control easier.


5. Easy Memory Formula

Memorize this:

Real Fear

Danger → Fear → Action → Safety → Calm

Example:

Car accident almost happens.

Fear

Brake

Safe

Calm


Psychological Fear

Thought → Worry → Anxiety → Fear → Panic

Example:

What if I lose my job?

Worry

Anxiety

Fear

Panic


This formula explains almost the entire lesson.


6. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Follow this order when explaining.


Step 1

There are two kinds of fear: situational fear and psychological fear.


Step 2

Situational fear happens when there is a real and immediate threat.


Step 3

This fear activates the fight-or-flight response and helps keep us safe.


Step 4

Once the danger passes, the body returns to normal.


Step 5

Psychological fear is different because it is based on imagined future threats.


Step 6

The body reacts as if danger exists even when nothing dangerous is happening.


Step 7

This can create stress, anxiety, fear, and eventually panic.


Step 8

Many modern stressors are not life-threatening, but the brain often treats them as dangers.


Step 9

The key is to recognize the fear early before it escalates.


Step 10

By changing our focus and using emotional self-control, we can reduce anxiety and fear.


7. 60-Second Natural Speaking Version

There are two main types of fear: situational fear and psychological fear. Situational fear occurs when there is a real and immediate threat, such as a car accident or a fire. In these situations, the fight-or-flight response helps protect us. Once the danger is gone, the body returns to normal. Psychological fear is different because it is based on imagined future threats rather than real danger. We worry about what might happen, and our body reacts as if the threat already exists. This can create a cycle of stress, anxiety, fear, and panic. Many modern problems are not life-threatening, but the brain often treats them that way. The best approach is to recognize fear early, change our focus, and prevent anxiety from escalating into a stronger emotional state.


8. Reasoning Structure (How to Remember Forever)

Memorize this chain:

Situational Fear

Real Danger

Fight-or-Flight

Protect Yourself

Danger Ends

Body Calms Down


Psychological Fear

Thought

What If?

Worry

Anxiety

Fear

Panic

More Worry


Solution

Awareness

Catch It Early

Change Focus

Calm Body

De-escalate Emotion

This is the exact logical sequence native speakers often use when explaining anxiety, fear, and stress.

 

 

1. Super Simple Summary

Main Idea

Thoughts create emotions.

Most people believe:

Situations create emotions.

But the lesson says:

Thoughts about situations create emotions.

Formula:

Situation → Thought → Emotion

Not:

Situation → Emotion


Example

Imagine two people lose their jobs.

Person A thinks:

"My life is ruined."

Emotion:

  • Fear
  • Anxiety
  • Sadness

Person B thinks:

"This is a chance to find something better."

Emotion:

  • Hope
  • Motivation
  • Optimism

Same situation.

Different thought.

Different emotion.


Key Principle

Emotions are not right or wrong

Many people ask:

"Should I trust my feelings?"

The answer:

Neither always yes nor always no.

Emotions are simply:

Signals showing what you're thinking.

They don't tell you whether your thinking is true.

They tell you what your mind is focusing on.


Example

Think about something you want but don't have.

Example:

  • More money
  • Better job
  • Relationship

You may feel unhappy.

Why?

Not because you don't have it.

Because you're thinking about not having it.

Proof:

When you're distracted:

  • Watching a movie
  • Riding a roller coaster
  • Talking with friends

You temporarily forget it.

And the unhappiness disappears.


Where Emotions Come From

Most emotions come from:

Interpretation

Not events.

Example:

Rainy day.

Person A:

"What a terrible day."

Feels annoyed.


Person B:

"Perfect weather for relaxing."

Feels peaceful.


Same weather.

Different interpretation.

Different emotion.


CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)

Psychologists use a method called:

CBT = Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Core idea:

Change your thinking → Change your feelings.

Process:

Step 1

Recognize the emotion.

What am I feeling?


Step 2

Identify the thought.

What am I thinking?


Step 3

Change the thought.

Is there another way to view this?


Step 4

Emotion changes.

I feel better.

Formula:

Emotion

Thought

New Thought

New Emotion


Two Ways to Change Emotions

Method 1: Distraction

Simply change what you're thinking about.

Example:

Instead of thinking:

I might fail.

Think about:

  • Vacation
  • Friends
  • A goal
  • A hobby

New thought.

New emotion.


Easy Formula

Bad Thought

Change Subject

Better Feeling


Method 2: New Perspective

Sometimes distraction doesn't work.

The problem remains.

Then use:

Reframing

or

New Perspective


Example

Man accidentally burns a coffee pot.

His reaction:

Embarrassed.

Friend's reaction:

That's hilarious!

Same event.

Different meaning.

Different emotion.


The Big Formula

The lesson expands the idea.

Thoughts create everything.

Thought

Emotion

Decision

Action

Results


Example:

Thought

I can learn English.

Emotion

Confidence

Decision

Start studying

Action

Practice every day

Result

Better English


Everything begins with a thought.


Meet BOB

The lesson gives your mind a nickname:

BOB

BOB = Your automatic thinking mind.

The voice in your head.

The constant chatter.


Rule #1 — Ignore BOB

Sometimes BOB says:

You're not good enough.

You'll fail.

Nobody likes you.

Don't automatically believe him.

BOB talks nonsense sometimes.


Rule #2 — Protect BOB

BOB absorbs information.

Ask:

Is this really my belief?

or

Did I learn this from someone else?

Examples:

  • Parents
  • Social media
  • Friends
  • News

Choose carefully what enters BOB's mind.


Rule #3 — Observe BOB

Watch your thoughts.

Ask:

What is BOB thinking right now?

If BOB starts worrying:

Catch him.

Replace the thought.


Whack-a-BOB Technique

Imagine playing:

Whack-a-Mole

Negative thought appears:

I'm going to fail.

WHACK!

New thought:

I'm still learning.


Negative thought:

This will never work.

WHACK!

New thought:

I can improve with practice.


The goal isn't perfect positivity.

The goal is:

Better-feeling thoughts.


2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

thought

idea in your mind

Thoughts influence emotions.

emotion

feeling

Thoughts create emotions.

interpretation

meaning you give something

Different interpretations create different feelings.

perspective

point of view

A new perspective helped me.

belief

something accepted as true

Beliefs affect behavior.

distract

move attention away

Music distracted me from worry.

observe

watch carefully

Observe your thoughts.

influence

affect

Social media influences opinions.

decision

choice

Every action starts with a decision.

action

something you do

Action creates results.

result

outcome

Hard work produces results.

spiral

get worse repeatedly

Anxiety can spiral quickly.

interrupt

stop temporarily

Awareness interrupts negative thinking.

ramble

talk continuously without focus

My mind rambles at night.

tangent

unrelated train of thought

My thoughts went off on a tangent.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Change your thinking

Meaning:

Think differently.

Example:

Change your thinking and your emotions will change.


Positive self-talk

Meaning:

Helpful inner conversation.

Example:

Positive self-talk improves confidence.


See things differently

Meaning:

Adopt a new perspective.

Example:

She learned to see things differently.


Take control of your thoughts

Meaning:

Become conscious of thinking.

Example:

Meditation helps take control of thoughts.


Get caught in a negative train of thought

Meaning:

Continue thinking negatively.

Example:

I got caught in a negative train of thought.


Choose a new thought

Meaning:

Deliberately redirect thinking.

Example:

Choose a new thought when worry appears.


Spiral out of control

Meaning:

Become increasingly worse.

Example:

Fear can spiral out of control.


In charge

Meaning:

Having control.

Example:

You are in charge of your attention.


4. Most Important Statements (Memorize)

Statement 1

Thoughts create emotions.


Statement 2

It is not the situation that causes emotions, but our interpretation of the situation.


Statement 3

Different thoughts create different emotional experiences.


Statement 4

If we can change our thoughts, we can change our emotions.


Statement 5

Awareness is the first step toward emotional control.


Statement 6

We are not our thoughts; we are the observer of our thoughts.


Statement 7

Better thoughts lead to better emotions, decisions, actions, and results.


5. Easy Memory Chain

Memorize this:

External World

Situation

Thought

Emotion

Decision

Action

Result


Example:

Exam

"I can do this"

Confidence

Study

Practice

Good Grade


OR

Exam

"I'm doomed"

Fear

Avoid Studying

Poor Preparation

Bad Grade


Same situation.

Different thought.

Different result.


6. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Use this order when speaking.

Step 1

Many people think situations create emotions.


Step 2

In reality, our interpretation of situations creates emotions.


Step 3

The same event can produce different emotions in different people.


Step 4

This happens because people think differently about the same situation.


Step 5

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy shows that changing thoughts can change emotions.


Step 6

One method is distraction, which means focusing on something else.


Step 7

Another method is finding a new perspective.


Step 8

Thoughts influence emotions, decisions, actions, and results.


Step 9

Therefore, learning to observe our thoughts is extremely important.


Step 10

By choosing better thoughts, we can create better emotional experiences.


7. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

The main idea of this lesson is that thoughts create emotions. Many people believe that situations directly cause feelings, but emotions are actually created by our interpretation of situations. Two people can experience the same event and have completely different emotional reactions because they think about it differently. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, or CBT, teaches that if we change our thoughts, we can change our emotions. One way to do this is through distraction, which involves focusing on something else. Another way is by finding a new perspective that changes the meaning of the situation. The lesson also explains that thoughts influence emotions, emotions influence decisions, decisions influence actions, and actions create results. Therefore, learning to observe and manage our thoughts is an important skill. By becoming aware of negative thinking patterns and replacing them with better-feeling thoughts, we can improve our emotional well-being and make better choices.


8. One-Line Memory Trick

Remember:

Events don't create emotions; interpretations create emotions.

And the master formula:

Thought → Emotion → Decision → Action → Result

If you remember only these two lines, you'll remember 80–90% of the lesson.

 

 

 

1. Super Simple Summary

Main Idea

Most anxiety comes from:

  • Thinking about the future
  • Thinking about the past

The solution:

Bring your attention back to the present moment.

When you focus on right now, your mind slows down and anxiety becomes weaker.


The Present Moment Awareness Process

Use it whenever you notice:

  • Worry
  • Anxiety
  • Insecurity
  • Overthinking

Step 1 — Become Aware

Ask:

What am I thinking about right now?

Notice that your mind may be:

  • In the future
  • In the past

instead of the present.


Step 2 — Notice Your Body

Bring attention to:

  • Your arms
  • Your legs
  • Your posture

Feel your body.


Step 3 — Notice Your Breathing

Pay attention to:

  • Air entering
  • Air leaving

Appreciate:

My lungs are working.

My heart is beating.


Step 4 — Notice Physical Sensations

Feel:

  • Warmth
  • Tingling
  • Pressure
  • Comfort

Especially in your hands and body.


Step 5 — Notice Sounds

Listen carefully.

Maybe:

  • Air conditioning
  • Birds
  • Traffic
  • Voices

Simply notice.

No judgment.


Step 6 — Notice Your Environment

Observe:

  • Space
  • Objects
  • Light
  • Colors

Become fully present.


Step 7 — Ask Better Questions

Ask:

What is right about this moment?

What do I appreciate?

What is beautiful right now?

These questions shift your attention.


Why Does This Work?

Because:

Thinking creates emotions.

Remember from the last lesson:

Thought → Emotion

If you stop feeding anxious thoughts:

Anxiety weakens.


Simple Formula

Future Thinking

Worry

Anxiety


Present Awareness

Less Thinking

More Calm


Key Insight

The Goal Is Not To Eliminate Thinking

The lesson is NOT saying:

Never think.

The lesson says:

Choose your thinking.


You control:

  • What you think about
  • When you think about it

After You Calm Down

Once your mind slows down, ask:

Question 1

What would I rather think about?


Question 2

Is there a better way to see this situation?


This is where you regain control.


Why Practice Matters

At first:

You'll notice anxiety late.

Example:

Worry for 30 minutes.

Then realize:

Oh, I'm overthinking.


Later:

You'll notice after 10 minutes.


Then:

After 2 minutes.


Eventually:

You catch yourself almost immediately.


Like building a muscle.

The more you practice:

The stronger awareness becomes.


Should You Think About The Future?

The lesson says:

Sometimes Yes

Sometimes No


When Future Thinking Is Harmful

If thinking about the future causes:

  • Worry
  • Fear
  • Anxiety
  • Stress

Then stop.

Return to:

Right now.


Example:

What if I fail?

What if I lose everything?

What if something goes wrong?

These thoughts create suffering.


When Future Thinking Is Helpful

If thinking about the future creates:

  • Hope
  • Inspiration
  • Excitement
  • Motivation

Then it's useful.


Example:

I can achieve this goal.

My future can improve.

I'm building something meaningful.

These thoughts generate positive emotions.


The Secret

The lesson teaches:

When imagining a positive future:

Feel it as if it is happening now.

Not:

Someday maybe...

But:

I can experience hope and excitement right now.


Ultimate Lesson

Awareness Creates Choice

Without awareness:

Thoughts run automatically.


With awareness:

You choose:

  • Present moment
  • New perspective
  • Better thought
  • Positive future vision

Formula:

Awareness

Choice

Thought

Emotion

Experience


2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

awareness

conscious attention

Awareness helps control emotions.

present moment

right now

Focus on the present moment.

sensation

physical feeling

I noticed a warm sensation.

appreciate

recognize value

I appreciate my health.

vibration

movement creating sound

My ears detect vibrations.

surroundings

things around you

Notice your surroundings.

relief

feeling better

Deep breathing brought relief.

anxiety

nervous future-focused worry

Anxiety comes from overthinking.

empowered

feeling strong and capable

I felt empowered after succeeding.

inspiration

motivation and excitement

The idea gave me inspiration.

suffering

emotional pain

Worry creates suffering.

awareness

noticing what's happening

Awareness creates choice.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Bring your attention back

Meaning:

Return focus to the present.

Example:

Bring your attention back to your breathing.


Focus on the present moment

Meaning:

Pay attention to now.

Example:

Meditation teaches us to focus on the present moment.


Catch yourself

Meaning:

Notice your thoughts early.

Example:

Catch yourself before anxiety grows.


Slow down your thinking

Meaning:

Reduce mental activity.

Example:

Deep breathing helps slow down thinking.


Get sucked into thoughts

Meaning:

Become trapped in thinking.

Example:

I got sucked into worrying again.


Change your focus

Meaning:

Redirect attention.

Example:

Change your focus to something positive.


Think about what you want

Meaning:

Focus on desired outcomes.

Example:

Successful people think about what they want.


Recognition of choice

Meaning:

Realizing you can choose.

Example:

Awareness creates recognition of choice.


4. Most Important Statements (Memorize)

Statement 1

Anxiety often comes from thinking about the future.


Statement 2

The present moment is usually safer than our imagination.


Statement 3

Awareness helps us regain control of our thoughts.


Statement 4

What we focus on determines how we feel.


Statement 5

The more we practice awareness, the easier it becomes.


Statement 6

We can choose thoughts that help us feel better.


Statement 7

Awareness creates choice.


Statement 8

The power to choose exists only in the present moment.


5. Easy Memory Formula

The Anxiety Loop

Future

What If?

Worry

Anxiety

More Worry


The Awareness Loop

Notice

Breathe

Observe

Appreciate

Calm


The Choice Loop

Awareness

Choice

Better Thought

Better Emotion

Better Experience


6. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Use this order when speaking.

Step 1

Many uncomfortable emotions come from thinking about the future or the past.


Step 2

The present moment awareness process helps bring attention back to now.


Step 3

We begin by noticing our body, breathing, and surroundings.


Step 4

This reduces overthinking and slows down the mind.


Step 5

Once we become calmer, we can choose more helpful thoughts.


Step 6

With practice, we become better at catching anxious thinking earlier.


Step 7

Thinking about the future is not always bad.


Step 8

Future thinking is useful when it creates hope and inspiration.


Step 9

Future thinking is harmful when it creates worry and fear.


Step 10

Ultimately, awareness gives us the ability to choose where we place our attention.


7. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

The present moment awareness process is designed to help reduce anxiety and overthinking. Many uncomfortable emotions come from focusing on the future or the past instead of the present moment. The process begins by bringing attention to the body, breathing, sounds, and surroundings. This helps slow down thinking and reduces emotional intensity. Once the mind becomes calmer, we can choose more helpful thoughts or perspectives. The lesson also explains that thinking about the future is not always harmful. If future thinking creates hope, motivation, or inspiration, it can be beneficial. However, if it creates worry and anxiety, it is often better to return attention to the present moment. The key idea is that awareness creates choice. When we become aware of our thoughts, we gain the ability to decide what to focus on, which ultimately influences our emotions and experiences.


8. One-Minute Memory Map

Memorize this:

Anxiety Path

Past/Future

Overthinking

Worry

Anxiety


Awareness Path

Notice

Breathe

Observe

Appreciate

Calm


Freedom Path

Awareness

Choice

Focus

Thought

Emotion

Experience

Golden Sentence

Where attention goes, emotion follows.

And:

Awareness creates choice, and choice creates emotional freedom.

 

 

 

1. Super Simple Summary

Main Idea

The most important emotional skill is:

Recognizing what you are feeling.

You cannot control an emotion if you don't notice it.

The process is:

Notice

Identify

Understand

Influence

Change


Why Some People Struggle to Identify Emotions

Many people were taught things like:

  • "Stop crying."
  • "Don't be angry."
  • "Be strong."
  • "You're too sensitive."

Over time, they learn to:

Repress emotions

Meaning:

Feel it but hide it.

or

Disconnect from emotions

Meaning:

Stop noticing it altogether.

As adults they may feel uncomfortable but cannot explain:

"I don't know what's wrong."


Emotional Self-Control Formula

To manage emotions you need 4 abilities:

1. Notice

I am feeling something.


2. Identify

What emotion is this?


3. Understand

What usually happens when I feel this?


4. Influence

How can I move toward a better emotional state?


Emotional State vs Emotion

This is one of the most important ideas.


Emotional State

The physical experience.

Body sensations.

Examples:

  • Fast heartbeat
  • Sweating
  • Tight chest
  • Butterflies in stomach
  • Muscle tension

Emotion

The label you give the experience.

Examples:

  • Anxiety
  • Fear
  • Excitement
  • Anger

Simple Example

Imagine your heart is racing.

That's the STATE.

Then your brain says:

"I'm nervous."

or

"I'm excited."

That's the EMOTION.


Updated Formula

Earlier:

Situation

Thought

Emotion


Now:

Situation

Thought

Body State

Label

Emotion


Example:

Presentation Tomorrow

"What if I fail?"

Fast heartbeat

"Danger!"

Anxiety


Emotions Are Not Things

Many people think:

I have anger.

Fear happened to me.

Like emotions are objects.

The lesson says:

Wrong


Emotions are processes.

They are actions.

Not things.


Easy Way To Remember

Fear is not a thing.

Fear is:

Observing

Thinking

Interpreting

Physical reaction

Labeling


That's a PROCESS.


The Famous Example

The Map Is Not The Territory

A map shows a country.

But:

The map is NOT the country.

Similarly:

The word:

"Love"

is not the experience of love.

The word:

"Fear"

is not the experience of fear.

Words are labels.

The actual experience is much richer.


The Six Common Emotions


1. Happiness 😊

Thoughts

  • Positive
  • Grateful
  • Optimistic

Body Signs

  • Smiling
  • Relaxed muscles
  • Open posture
  • Bright eyes

Behaviors

  • Laughing
  • Dancing
  • Friendly conversation

Easy Memory

Happiness =
Open + Relaxed + Positive


2. Boredom 😐

Thoughts

  • Nothing interesting
  • I wish things were different

Body Signs

  • Low energy
  • Slouched posture
  • Low eyes

Behaviors

  • Staring
  • Fidgeting
  • Resting head

Easy Memory

Boredom =
Low Energy + Low Interest


3. Anxiety 😟

Thoughts

  • What if?
  • Uncertainty
  • Worry

Body Signs

  • Sweating
  • Fast breathing
  • Butterflies
  • Tension

Behaviors

  • Pacing
  • Nail biting
  • Restlessness

Easy Memory

Anxiety =
Future + Worry + Restlessness


4. Anger 😠

Thoughts

  • Blame
  • Resentment
  • Unfairness

Body Signs

  • Tight chest
  • Clenched jaw
  • Increased heart rate

Behaviors

  • Yelling
  • Sarcasm
  • Aggression

Easy Memory

Anger =
Tension + Blame + Attack


5. Sadness 😢

Thoughts

  • Loss
  • Defeat
  • Helplessness

Body Signs

  • Low energy
  • Slumped posture
  • Crying

Behaviors

  • Isolation
  • Withdrawal
  • Staying in bed

Easy Memory

Sadness =
Loss + Low Energy + Withdrawal


6. Fear 😨

Thoughts

  • Danger
  • Worst-case scenario
  • Threat

Body Signs

  • Fast heartbeat
  • Sweating
  • Shaking

Behaviors

  • Freeze
  • Run
  • Hide

Easy Memory

Fear =
Threat + Survival Mode


Quick Comparison Table

Emotion

Main Thought

Happiness

Things are good

Boredom

Nothing interesting

Anxiety

What if?

Anger

It's unfair

Sadness

I lost something

Fear

I'm in danger


Emotional Awareness Questions

Whenever you feel emotional, ask:


Question 1

How do I feel?


Question 2

How do I know?


Question 3

What sensations do I feel?

Examples:

  • Tightness
  • Heat
  • Pressure
  • Butterflies

Question 4

Where do I feel it?

Examples:

  • Chest
  • Stomach
  • Neck
  • Head

Question 5

What are my thoughts?


Question 6

What is my body doing?

Examples:

  • Tense
  • Shaking
  • Sweating

Question 7

What behavior do I notice?

Examples:

  • Yelling
  • Avoiding
  • Smiling
  • Pacing

2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

emotion

labeled feeling

Anxiety is an emotion.

state

physical condition

My state changed quickly.

sensation

body feeling

I felt a sensation in my chest.

awareness

noticing

Awareness helps emotional control.

repress

push down emotions

He repressed his anger.

identify

recognize

I identified my anxiety.

physiological

related to the body

Anxiety causes physiological changes.

posture

body position

Good posture shows confidence.

tension

tightness

Stress creates tension.

hypervigilance

excessive alertness

Anxiety causes hypervigilance.

hostility

anger toward others

Hostility damaged the relationship.

dread

strong fear

He felt dread before the event.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Hold emotions in

Meaning:

Suppress feelings.

Example:

Many people hold emotions in.


Notice your emotional state

Meaning:

Become aware of feelings.

Example:

Notice your emotional state early.


Label the emotion

Meaning:

Give the feeling a name.

Example:

Label the emotion before reacting.


Feel butterflies in your stomach

Meaning:

Nervous sensation.

Example:

I felt butterflies before speaking.


Racing thoughts

Meaning:

Thoughts moving very quickly.

Example:

Anxiety causes racing thoughts.


Tight chest

Meaning:

Pressure in the chest.

Example:

Fear created a tight chest.


Out of control

Meaning:

Unable to manage something.

Example:

Anger made him feel out of control.


Hyper focused

Meaning:

Extremely concentrated.

Example:

Fear makes us hyper focused on danger.


4. Most Important Statements (Memorize)

Statement 1

You cannot change an emotion that you do not recognize.


Statement 2

Emotional awareness is the foundation of emotional self-control.


Statement 3

A state is the physical feeling; an emotion is the label.


Statement 4

Emotions are processes, not things.


Statement 5

Thoughts influence states, and states influence emotions.


Statement 6

Early recognition makes emotional change easier.


Statement 7

Awareness creates the opportunity for choice.


5. Easy Memory Formula

Emotional Creation Process

Situation

Thought

Body State

Label

Emotion

Behavior


Example

Boss Criticizes Me

"That's unfair!"

Tension

Anger

Yelling


6. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Step 1

Emotional self-control begins with emotional awareness.


Step 2

Many people struggle to identify emotions because of childhood conditioning.


Step 3

To manage emotions, we must first notice and identify them.


Step 4

An emotional state refers to physical sensations in the body.


Step 5

An emotion is the label we give those sensations.


Step 6

Emotions are not things; they are ongoing processes.


Step 7

Different emotions produce different thoughts, body sensations, and behaviors.


Step 8

Learning common emotional patterns helps us identify them earlier.


Step 9

We can ask questions about our thoughts, body sensations, and behaviors.


Step 10

The earlier we recognize an emotion, the easier it is to influence it.


7. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

Emotional awareness is the foundation of emotional self-control. Many people have difficulty identifying emotions because they were taught to suppress, ignore, or feel guilty about their feelings. The lesson explains that emotional states and emotions are not the same thing. A state refers to the physical sensations we experience, such as a racing heart, muscle tension, or sweating. An emotion is the label we place on those sensations, such as anxiety, anger, or fear. Emotions are not things that happen to us; they are processes involving thoughts, physical reactions, interpretations, and behaviors. By learning the signs of common emotions like happiness, boredom, anxiety, anger, sadness, and fear, we can recognize them earlier. Once we become aware of what we are experiencing, we gain more control over how we respond. Emotional awareness allows us to make better choices instead of reacting automatically.


8. One-Minute Memory Map

Emotion Creation

Situation

Thought

State

Label

Emotion

Behavior


Emotional Mastery

Notice

Identify

Understand

Influence

Change


Golden Sentences

You cannot manage what you cannot recognize.

and

Awareness turns automatic reactions into conscious choices.

 

1. Super Simple Summary

Main Idea

When you feel:

  • Uncertainty
  • Anxiety
  • Fear
  • Stress
  • Anger
  • Sadness

don't immediately focus on the emotion.

Instead ask:

"What thought created this emotion?"

Remember the earlier formula:

Thought → Emotion

If you find the thought, you can often change the emotion.


The 7-Step Process

Think of it like being a detective.

You are investigating:

What caused this feeling?


Step 1: Assess the Intensity

Ask:

How strong is this emotion?

If it's small

Example:

  • Slight annoyance
  • Brief worry
  • Minor frustration

Just:

  • Change focus
  • Get busy
  • Think about something else

Don't overanalyze.


If it keeps returning

Example:

  • Same worry every day
  • Same fear every week

Then investigate further.


Easy Phrase

Small emotion → Redirect

Repeated emotion → Investigate


Step 2: Identify the Emotion

Ask:

What exactly am I feeling?

Name it.

Examples:

  • Anxiety
  • Fear
  • Anger
  • Sadness
  • Frustration
  • Disappointment

Why?

You cannot solve:

"Something feels bad."

You can work with:

"This is anxiety."


Step 3: Identify the Thought

Ask:

What was I thinking just before I felt this?

Examples:

Thought

I might fail.

Emotion

Anxiety


Thought

This isn't fair.

Emotion

Anger


Thought

I lost something important.

Emotion

Sadness


Memory Formula

Thought

Emotion


Not:

Emotion

Randomly Appeared


Step 4: Identify the Timeline

This is powerful.

Ask:

Is this happening now?

or

Am I thinking about the past or future?


Present

Example:

My car just broke down.

Real current problem.


Future

Example:

What if my car breaks down next year?

Imagined future problem.


Past

Example:

I should have done things differently.

Past memory.


Easy Rule

Most anxiety lives in:

  • Future
  • Past

Not now.


Step 5: Determine Whether Action Is Needed

This is the most practical step.


Question A

Can I do something RIGHT NOW?

Example:

Exam tomorrow.

Can study now.

Answer:

Yes.

Take action.


Formula

Can act?

Take action.


Question B

Can I do something later?

Example:

Doctor appointment next week.

Nothing to do today.

But:

Can prepare next week.


Then:

Create a plan.

Example:

I'll call Monday at 9 AM.

Then stop worrying.


Formula

Can act later?

Make plan

Let go


Question C

Can I do nothing?

Example:

Past mistake.

Can't change it.


Then:

The only solution is:

Change perspective

or

Change focus


Formula

No action possible

Acceptance

New perspective


Step 6: Check Whether Your Reaction Fits Reality

Ask:

Is my emotional reaction proportional?

Meaning:

Am I reacting appropriately?


Example

Situation:

Spilled milk.

Reaction:

Screaming.

Panic.

Meltdown.


Something doesn't match.

The dishes are not the real issue.

Something deeper is happening.

Maybe:

  • Stress
  • Exhaustion
  • Resentment
  • Anxiety

Easy Question

Am I reacting to THIS situation?

or

Am I reacting to EVERYTHING?


Step 7: Find Another Perspective

Ask:

Is there another way to see this?


Example 1

Thought:

I failed.

Perspective #1

I'm a failure.

Emotion:

Shame.


Perspective #2

I learned something useful.

Emotion:

Hope.


Example 2

Thought:

This challenge is difficult.

Perspective #1

This is terrible.

Emotion:

Stress.


Perspective #2

This is helping me grow.

Emotion:

Determination.


Same facts.

Different perspective.

Different emotion.


2. Key Vocabulary (Learn First)

Word

Meaning

Easy Example

underlying

hidden beneath

We found the underlying thought.

assess

evaluate

Assess the situation calmly.

severity

intensity

The severity of the problem increased.

fleeting

temporary

The feeling was fleeting.

warrant

deserve attention

The issue warrants investigation.

timeline

time reference

Consider the timeline of the event.

validity

whether something is reasonable

Question the validity of the fear.

reaction

response

My reaction surprised me.

perspective

viewpoint

A new perspective helped me.

silver lining

positive aspect of a bad situation

Every challenge has a silver lining.

permission

approval

Give yourself permission to rest.

content

peaceful and satisfied

I feel content with my progress.


3. Key Phrases (Learn Second)

Get to the root cause

Meaning:

Find the real reason.

Example:

We need to get to the root cause of the anxiety.


Let it go for now

Meaning:

Stop thinking about it temporarily.

Example:

I made a plan, so I can let it go for now.


Take action

Meaning:

Do something useful.

Example:

Instead of worrying, take action.


Change your perspective

Meaning:

Look at it differently.

Example:

Changing my perspective reduced my stress.


A different way of looking at it

Meaning:

Another interpretation.

Example:

There may be a different way of looking at it.


Silver lining

Meaning:

Hidden positive aspect.

Example:

Losing the job had a silver lining.


Reacting out of proportion

Meaning:

Response is too strong.

Example:

I was reacting out of proportion.


Give yourself permission

Meaning:

Allow yourself mentally.

Example:

Give yourself permission to rest.


4. Most Important Statements (Memorize)

Statement 1

Emotions are often caused by underlying thoughts.


Statement 2

Identifying the thought helps identify the cause of the emotion.


Statement 3

Most anxiety involves thoughts about the future.


Statement 4

If action is possible, take action.


Statement 5

If action is not possible, change your perspective.


Statement 6

Not every emotional reaction matches the actual situation.


Statement 7

A new perspective can create a new emotional experience.


5. Easy Memory Formula

Memorize this sequence:

Emotion

Thought

Timeline

Action?

Perspective

Relief


Or even shorter:

FEEL

F = Feeling (What emotion?)

E = Examine thought

E = Evaluate action

L = Look for another perspective


6. Natural Speaking Flow (Sequential)

Step 1

When we experience an unpleasant emotion, it is useful to identify the thought behind it.


Step 2

First, we assess how intense the emotion is.


Step 3

Next, we identify the specific emotion we are feeling.


Step 4

Then we examine the thought that triggered the emotion.


Step 5

We determine whether the thought concerns the present, past, or future.


Step 6

We ask whether there is any action we can take now or later.


Step 7

If action is not possible, we focus on changing our perspective.


Step 8

We also evaluate whether our emotional reaction matches the actual situation.


Step 9

If the reaction seems too strong, there may be a deeper issue involved.


Step 10

Finally, we consider alternative perspectives that help us feel better.


7. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

When we experience unpleasant emotions such as anxiety, uncertainty, or fear, it can be helpful to identify the underlying thoughts causing them. The first step is to assess the intensity of the emotion. If it is minor, simply redirecting attention may be enough. If the emotion is recurring, it is worth investigating further. Next, identify the emotion and the thought that triggered it. Then determine whether the thought relates to the present, the past, or the future. After that, ask whether any action can be taken now or later. If action is possible, take it or create a plan. If nothing can be done, changing perspective is often the best solution. It is also important to evaluate whether the emotional reaction is proportional to the situation. Sometimes strong reactions indicate deeper issues. Finally, consider alternative perspectives or positive aspects of the situation. By understanding the thoughts behind emotions, we gain greater emotional awareness and control.


8. One-Minute Memory Map

The Investigation Process

Emotion

What am I feeling?

What am I thinking?

Past / Present / Future?

Can I act?

Yes → Take action

No → Change perspective

Feel better


Golden Questions

What am I feeling?

What am I thinking?

Can I do anything about it?

Is there another way to see it?

Golden Sentence

When you change the thought, you change the emotional experience.

 

 

Absolutely. I’ll keep the same learning structure so you can build these lessons into natural spoken English, rather than just memorizing definitions.

Identifying Triggers — Easy Understanding

1. Super Simple Summary

Main idea

A trigger is something that causes an emotional reaction.

It could be:

  • A person
  • A word
  • A conversation
  • A song
  • A smell
  • A situation
  • A memory

The important point is:

Sometimes we know what triggers us. Sometimes we don't.


Conscious vs. Unconscious Triggers

Conscious trigger

You already know what causes your reaction.

Example:

"Whenever I hear that song, I feel sad."

You know the trigger.

Song → Emotion


Unconscious trigger

You don't immediately understand why you reacted.

Example:

Someone says:

"We need to talk."

You suddenly become:

  • Defensive
  • Nervous
  • Angry

But you don't know why.

Later you realize:

"My parents used to say 'we need to talk' whenever I was in trouble."

So your brain learned:

"We need to talk" → Danger

Even though the person may not mean anything bad.


2. What Exactly Is a Trigger?

Think of a trigger as a button.

Something happens:

Trigger → Emotional reaction

Example:

Someone criticizes you.

You feel angry.


But sometimes the trigger is much smaller:

Someone uses a certain tone of voice.

You become defensive.


The important question is:

"Why did this affect me so strongly?"


3. Why Do We Have Triggers?

Your brain creates associations to help you respond quickly.

It's trying to protect you.

For example:

You touch a hot stove.

Pain

Brain learns:

Hot stove = danger

Next time:

Hot stove

Immediately pull your hand away.

You don't need to think about it.

The brain has created an association.


4. Emotional Associations

The same thing happens with emotions.

Example: Music 🎵

You listen to a song during a breakup.

Song + sadness

Your brain connects them.

Years later:

You hear the song.

Sad feeling returns.


Another example:

You listen to an exciting song during an amazing period of your life.

Song + excitement

Later, the song makes you feel energized.


Easy Formula

Trigger + Emotion + Situation

Association


5. The Problem With Triggers

Sometimes the brain makes the wrong connection.

This is called faulty wiring or a faulty association.

Example:

As a child:

"We need to talk."

You get punished.

Your brain learns:

"We need to talk = trouble."

Years later:

Your partner says:

"We need to talk."

Your brain reacts:

"Danger!"

You become defensive.

But there may actually be no danger.


6. The Most Important Idea

Your emotional reaction may not always be about what is happening now.

It may be about:

What your brain learned in the past.

This is extremely useful to remember.

Current situation

Someone says something.

Old association

Your brain recognizes something similar.

Automatic reaction

You become:

  • Angry
  • Afraid
  • Defensive
  • Anxious

7. Become a Student of Your Own Emotions

This is one of the best phrases from the lesson.

Become a student of your own emotions.

It means:

Don't just react.

Observe yourself.

Instead of:

"Why is this person making me angry?"

Ask:

"Why am I reacting this strongly?"


8. Pay Special Attention When Your Reaction Doesn't Fit

This is a major clue.

Imagine someone makes a small comment.

Their comment is mildly annoying.

But you become extremely angry.

Ask:

"Why is my reaction so strong?"

Maybe the comment triggered something older.


9. The Trigger Investigation Process

Use this sequence:

Step 1 — Notice

Something triggered me.

Step 2 — Identify

What exactly happened?

Step 3 — Observe

How did I react?

Step 4 — Investigate

Why did I react this way?

Step 5 — Evaluate

Is this reaction necessary or appropriate?

Step 6 — Replace

What would I rather do instead?


10. The Four Questions to Memorize

These are the most important questions from the lesson.

Question 1

What triggers me emotionally?


Question 2

How do I react when I'm triggered?


Question 3

Why do I react this way?


Question 4

What can I replace this reaction with?


11. Example — "We Need to Talk"

Let's put the whole process together.

Trigger

"We need to talk."

Automatic reaction

Anxiety + defensiveness

Investigation

"Why did I react like that?"

Memory

"My parents used to say this before punishing me."

Awareness

"This is an old association."

New response

"My partner isn't my parent. This conversation may be completely normal."

New behavior

Stay calm and listen.


12. Positive Triggers

Triggers aren't always negative.

Some triggers make you feel good.

Examples:

Song

Your favorite song

Energy


Place

A beautiful beach

Peace


Person

A supportive friend

Confidence


Activity

Exercise

Motivation


So you can intentionally create:

Positive triggers.


13. Key Vocabulary

Word

Easy Meaning

Example

trigger

something that causes a reaction

That song triggers sadness.

conscious

something you are aware of

I know my trigger.

unconscious

something you're not aware of

It was an unconscious reaction.

association

connection between things

My brain created an association.

react

respond emotionally/physically

I reacted with anger.

defensive

trying to protect yourself

She became defensive.

faulty

incorrect or flawed

It was a faulty association.

wiring

how the brain is connected/programmed

The brain's wiring can change.

appropriate

suitable for the situation

Was that reaction appropriate?

necessary

needed

Was that reaction necessary?

replace

put something else instead

Replace the old reaction.

aware

conscious of something

Become aware of your triggers.


14. Key Phrases

These are phrases worth learning as chunks, not individual words.

"For no apparent reason"

Meaning:

Without an obvious reason.

Example:

I suddenly became angry for no apparent reason.


"Get defensive"

Meaning:

Start protecting yourself emotionally.

Example:

I tend to get defensive when people criticize me.


"Trigger an emotional reaction"

Example:

Certain situations trigger an emotional reaction in me.


"Create an association"

Example:

Our brains create associations between experiences and emotions.


"Take their power away"

Meaning:

Reduce their control over you.

Example:

Once you understand your triggers, you can take their power away.


"Become aware of"

Example:

I became aware of how strongly I reacted.


"Doesn't fit the situation"

Meaning:

Your reaction seems too strong for what happened.

Example:

My reaction didn't really fit the situation.


"Replace it with"

Example:

I want to replace my automatic reaction with a calmer response.


15. Most Important Statements to Memorize

1

Triggers can be conscious or unconscious.

2

Our brains create associations between experiences and emotions.

3

Sometimes our emotional reactions come from past experiences rather than the present situation.

4

An emotional reaction that doesn't fit the situation may indicate a hidden trigger.

5

Awareness reduces the power of triggers.

6

Instead of reacting automatically, we can choose a different response.

7

We can create positive associations and positive triggers.


16. Easy Memory Formula

Memorize this:

Trigger → Association → Emotion → Reaction

Example:

"We need to talk"

Old childhood association

Fear

Defensiveness


Then use:

Awareness → Choice → New Response


17. Natural Speaking Sequence

This is the order I recommend you practice speaking.

Step 1

We all have emotional triggers, and they can be either positive or negative.

Step 2

Some triggers are conscious, which means we're aware of them.

Step 3

Other triggers are unconscious, so we don't immediately understand why we react.

Step 4

Our brains create associations between experiences and emotions.

Step 5

Sometimes these associations are useful because they help us respond quickly.

Step 6

However, sometimes the brain creates a faulty association.

Step 7

As a result, we may react strongly to something that isn't actually dangerous.

Step 8

That's why it's important to become a student of our own emotions.

Step 9

When our reaction doesn't seem to fit the situation, we should ask ourselves what triggered us.

Step 10

Once we understand the trigger, we can choose a different response.


18. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

We all have emotional triggers, and they can be either positive or negative. Some triggers are conscious, which means we're aware of them, while others are unconscious, so we don't immediately understand why we react.

Our brains create associations between experiences and emotions. For example, if we listen to a particular song during a very emotional period in our life, that song may trigger the same emotion years later. This can happen with positive emotions as well as negative ones.

The problem is that sometimes our brain creates a faulty association. For example, if someone repeatedly heard "we need to talk" before getting into trouble as a child, they might automatically become defensive when a partner or friend says the same thing as an adult.

That's why it's important to become a student of our own emotions. When our emotional reaction seems much stronger than the situation requires, we can ask ourselves: What triggered me? How did I react? Why did I react this way? And what could I replace that reaction with?

The goal isn't to eliminate triggers. The goal is to become aware of them so they have less power over us. Once we're aware of a trigger, we have a choice: we can continue reacting automatically, or we can choose a healthier response.


19. How to Practice Until You Speak Naturally

Don't memorize the entire paragraph.

Use 3 layers.

Layer 1 — Keywords

Memorize:

Trigger → Association → Reaction → Awareness → Choice


Layer 2 — Short sentences

Say:

We all have triggers.

Some are conscious.

Some are unconscious.

Our brains create associations.

Sometimes those associations are faulty.

Awareness helps us recognize them.

Then we can choose a different response.


Layer 3 — Connect them naturally

Now combine:

We all have emotional triggers. Some are conscious, while others are unconscious. Our brains create associations between experiences and emotions. Sometimes those associations are faulty, so we may react strongly even when there's no real danger. That's why awareness is important. Once we recognize our triggers, we can choose a different response.

This is the speaking skill you're building: not memorizing every sentence, but remembering the sequence of ideas and using the phrases naturally.


20. One-Minute Memory Map

TRIGGERS

Something happens

Trigger

Brain remembers an association

Emotion

Automatic reaction


SELF-CONTROL

Notice reaction

Ask "Why?"

Find trigger

Understand association

Choose new response


Golden Sentence

A trigger may explain my reaction, but it doesn't have to control my response.

 

 

Absolutely. This lesson is mainly about how to replace a belief that limits you with a belief that gives you more possibilities.

The easiest way to remember it is:

Old belief → Question the evidence → Create doubt → New belief → Build evidence

1. Super Simple Summary

What is a limiting belief?

A limiting belief is a belief that makes you think:

"I can't."

"I'm not good enough."

"I'm bad at this."

"People like me can't do that."

The important point is that a limiting belief doesn't have to be completely false.

The question is:

Does this belief help me or hold me back?


2. The Table Leg Method

Imagine:

Belief = Tabletop

Evidence = Table legs

For example:

"I'm bad at math."

That's the tabletop.

Then you have evidence supporting it:

  • My mother said I'm bad at math.
  • I got a math problem wrong in school.
  • I failed two math tests.

Those are the table legs.

So:

Evidence → Belief


3. How Does the Belief Become Strong?

Every time you find another piece of evidence, you add another leg.

Eventually you think:

"See? I knew it. I'm just bad at math."

The belief becomes stronger.

But here's the important idea:

If you remove enough legs, the table collapses.

You don't necessarily need to prove the belief is completely false.

You just need to question whether the evidence really proves the conclusion.


4. Example: "I'm Bad at Math"

Old belief

I'm naturally bad at math.

Evidence #1

My mother said it runs in the family.

Evidence #2

I got a math problem wrong in front of the class.

Evidence #3

I failed two tests.

So the table looks strong.

But now we investigate.


5. Question the Evidence

Evidence #1

"It runs in my family."

Ask:

Is that really proof that I can't improve?

Maybe not.


Evidence #2

"I got a question wrong."

Ask:

Does one mistake prove I'm bad at math?

No.


Evidence #3

"I failed two tests."

Ask:

Does failing two tests mean I'm permanently incapable of learning math?

No.

Maybe:

  • I didn't practice enough.
  • I didn't understand the teacher.
  • I was nervous.
  • I used the wrong study method.
  • I improved later.

6. The Three Powerful Questions

For every piece of evidence, ask:

1. Could this be untrue?

Maybe my interpretation isn't completely accurate.

2. Is there more to the story?

What information am I missing?

3. Is there another explanation?

Could something else explain what happened?

These three questions are extremely useful.


7. Important: You Don't Have to Prove Yourself Wrong

This is a subtle but important point.

The goal isn't:

"My old belief is 100% false."

The goal is:

"Maybe my old conclusion isn't the only possible conclusion."

That creates doubt.

And doubt creates room for a new belief.


8. Old Belief vs. Improved Belief

Don't replace:

"I'm terrible at math."

with:

"I'm a mathematical genius!"

if you don't believe it.

Your brain will say:

"Yeah, right."

Instead choose a believable improvement.

For example:

"I can improve my math skills with practice."

That's believable.


9. Step 3 — Find the Emotional Superglue

This is one of the most interesting ideas in the lesson.

Sometimes we don't actually want to give up our limiting belief.

Why?

Because the belief gives us an emotional benefit.

That's the:

Emotional payoff


Example

Belief:

"I'm bad at math."

What might you get from keeping that belief?

Maybe:

"I don't have to try."

"I don't have to risk failing."

"I can avoid difficult subjects."

"I can blame my ability instead of my effort."

So the belief protects you.

It's like:

Superglue holding the table legs down.


10. Ask Yourself

What do I gain by keeping this belief?

Then ask:

Are those benefits worth the cost?


If YES

You're still emotionally attached to the belief.

Change may be difficult.


If NO

Good.

You are ready to let it go.


11. Step 4 — Reframe the Evidence

Now challenge every table leg.

Use:

Could this be untrue?

Is there more to the story?

What's another explanation?

The goal is not to erase your history.

The goal is to change what the history means to you.


12. Step 5 — Build the New Table

Now we reverse the process.

Old belief:

"I'm bad at math."

New belief:

"I can improve my math skills."

Now find evidence.

Leg #1

I've improved at difficult things before.

Leg #2

I can learn when I practice consistently.

Leg #3

I've successfully learned things I initially struggled with.

Leg #4

Other people have improved their math skills through practice.

Leg #5

I understand some mathematical concepts already.

Now you're building a new table.


13. The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

This is another important phrase.

A limiting belief can become a:

Self-fulfilling prophecy

Meaning:

You believe something about yourself.

You behave according to that belief.

Your behavior produces results that appear to confirm the belief.


Example

"I'm bad at math."

Don't practice.

Feel nervous.

Perform poorly.

"See? I'm bad at math."

The belief appears to prove itself.


14. Break the Cycle

Instead:

"I can improve with practice."

Practice.

Gain experience.

Improve.

"I really can get better."

Now the new belief reinforces itself.


15. Key Vocabulary

Word

Easy Meaning

Example

belief

something you think is true

I have a strong belief about myself.

limiting

restricting possibilities

That's a limiting belief.

empowering

giving confidence or possibility

I want a more empowering belief.

evidence

information supporting an idea

What evidence supports that belief?

conclusion

what you decide based on evidence

I reached the wrong conclusion.

reinforce

make something stronger

The experience reinforced my belief.

collapse

fall apart

The old belief can collapse.

doubt

uncertainty about something

The evidence created doubt.

reframe

look at something differently

Try to reframe the experience.

payoff

benefit you get from something

What's the emotional payoff?

attachment

strong connection

I have an emotional attachment to this belief.

self-fulfilling prophecy

belief that helps create its own result

"I can't" can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

potential

ability to develop or succeed

Limiting beliefs hold back our potential.

repetition

doing/saying something repeatedly

Repetition strengthens the new belief.


16. Key Phrases to Learn as Chunks

"Hold me back"

This belief is holding me back.

Meaning:

Preventing me from progressing.


"Based on the evidence"

I formed this belief based on the evidence.


"Question the evidence"

We need to question the evidence.


"There is more to the story"

Maybe there's more to the story.

Very natural English phrase.


"Another explanation"

There may be another explanation.


"See things differently"

I need to learn to see things differently.


"Change the way I think about it"

I can change the way I think about it.


"Build a new belief"

I want to build a more empowering belief.


"Prove myself right"

My behavior may unintentionally prove my belief right.


"Live up to my potential"

Limiting beliefs can prevent me from living up to my potential.


17. Most Important Statements to Memorize

1

A belief is supported by the evidence we associate with it.

2

Questioning the evidence can weaken a limiting belief.

3

The goal isn't to prove the old belief false; it's to create doubt and possibility.

4

A limiting belief can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

5

A more empowering belief should be believable, not unrealistic.

6

You can build a new belief by collecting evidence that supports it.

7

Repetition strengthens the new belief.


18. The 5-Step Method

This is the part you should memorize.

STEP 1 — Identify

What limiting belief do I have?

STEP 2 — Replace

What would be a more empowering belief?

STEP 3 — Unstick

What emotional benefit do I get from keeping the old belief?

STEP 4 — Question

Could my evidence be incomplete or interpreted differently?

STEP 5 — Build

What evidence supports my new belief?


19. Easy Memory Word

Remember:

I-R-U-Q-B

I = Identify

R = Replace

U = Unstick

Q = Question

B = Build

Or remember it as:

Identify → Replace → Unstick → Question → Build


20. Natural Speaking Sequence

Practice these sentences in this order:

Step 1

We all have beliefs about ourselves and the world.

Step 2

Some beliefs are empowering, while others are limiting.

Step 3

A limiting belief can prevent us from reaching our potential.

Step 4

The table leg method helps us understand how beliefs are formed.

Step 5

The belief is like the tabletop, and the evidence supporting it is like the legs.

Step 6

To weaken a limiting belief, we question the evidence supporting it.

Step 7

We can ask whether the evidence is incomplete or whether there is another explanation.

Step 8

We also need to understand the emotional payoff of keeping the old belief.

Step 9

Once we weaken the old belief, we can create a more empowering and believable one.

Step 10

Finally, we strengthen the new belief by finding evidence that supports it.


21. 90-Second Natural Speaking Version

The table leg method is a way to change limiting beliefs. The basic idea is that a belief is like a tabletop, while the evidence supporting that belief is like the table legs. The more evidence we have, the stronger the belief becomes.

For example, someone may believe that they are bad at math because they struggled in school, failed some tests, or were told that being bad at math runs in their family. These experiences can reinforce the belief and eventually create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because they expect to fail, they may avoid practicing, become nervous, and perform poorly.

To change the belief, we first identify it and then choose a more empowering belief that is still believable. Next, we examine the emotional payoff of keeping the old belief. Then we question the evidence by asking whether it could be untrue, whether there is more to the story, or whether there is another explanation.

Finally, we build the new belief by finding evidence that supports it. At first, the new belief may feel weaker than the old one, but repetition and new experiences can strengthen it. The goal is not simply to think positively. The goal is to develop beliefs that give us more possibilities and help us move toward our potential.


22. How to Speak Naturally Without Memorizing

Don't try to memorize the whole 90-second paragraph.

Instead memorize these 5 anchor sentences:

I have a limiting belief.

What evidence supports it?

Is there another explanation?

What would be a more empowering belief?

What evidence supports my new belief?

Now you can speak naturally around those anchors.

For example:

"I have a limiting belief that I'm not good at public speaking. But what evidence supports it? Maybe I've had some bad experiences, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm incapable. There may be another explanation. Maybe I simply haven't practiced enough. A more empowering belief would be that I can become better at public speaking with practice. And I can find evidence that supports that belief by looking at times when I've improved at other skills."

That is much more useful for real conversation than memorizing the original textbook.


23. One-Minute Memory Map

OLD BELIEF

Belief

Evidence

More evidence

Strong belief

Self-fulfilling prophecy


CHANGE

Identify

Question evidence

Create doubt

Release emotional attachment

New belief

Find supporting evidence

Repeat

Stronger new belief


Golden Sentence

Don't ask only, "Is this belief true?" Ask, "Is this belief useful, empowering, and helping me move forward?"

 

 

Yes. This lesson is about one very useful idea for natural English:

The people around you can influence how you feel, even when you don't realize it.

The key vocabulary is not difficult individually, but there are many natural phrases/chunks worth learning together.

1. Super Simple Summary

Your brain naturally learns from other people.

When you see someone doing something, your brain can partially mirror what they are doing.

For example:

Someone yawns → you may yawn.

Someone is extremely excited → you may become excited.

Someone is very negative or depressed → you may leave the conversation feeling down.

The lesson calls this social learning and connects it to mirror neurons and empathy.

The main practical message is:

Emotions are contagious, so pay attention to the people you spend time with.


2. The Main Idea as a Story

Remember this sequence:

People around you

Your brain observes them

Your brain mirrors what it observes

You may experience a similar emotional state

Your mood and behavior can change

This is the easiest way to remember the lesson.


3. Key Words — Easy Meanings

Word

Easy meaning

Natural example

influence

affect someone

People influence how we feel.

mirror

copy/reflect

We sometimes mirror other people's behavior.

social learning

learning from other people

Children learn through social learning.

mirror neurons

brain cells associated with responding to observed actions

Mirror neurons help explain why we copy actions.

mimic

copy someone's action or behavior

I noticed myself mimicking his posture.

contagious

easily passed from one person to another

Laughter can be contagious.

empathy

understanding/feeling another person's emotional state

She has a lot of empathy.

emotional state

how someone is feeling

His emotional state affects the whole team.

unconscious

happening without conscious awareness

Our unconscious mind can react quickly.

consciously

with awareness

I didn't consciously notice it.

exposure

contact with something

Limit your exposure to negativity.

interact

communicate or spend time with someone

I interact with many people at work.

assess

evaluate or judge

The brain assesses emotional signals.

reflect

show or reproduce something

Her face reflected her emotions.

sensation

physical feeling

I felt a strange sensation in my hand.


4. The Most Important Phrase: "Influenced by"

This is extremely useful in everyday English.

I'm influenced by the people around me.

We're all influenced by our environment.

Your mood can be influenced by the people you spend time with.

Notice:

influence + person

or

be influenced by + person/thing


5. "Mirror" — Don't Just Learn the Word

Learn these as chunks:

mirror someone's behavior

mirror someone's emotions

mirror what you see

mirror the people around you

Examples:

"Children often mirror their parents' behavior."

"I noticed that I was mirroring his body language."

"We sometimes mirror the emotional state of people around us."


6. "Contagious" Is a Powerful Everyday Word

Originally, you might think:

contagious = disease spreading

But you can also use it for emotions and behavior.

Natural expressions:

Laughter is contagious.

Her enthusiasm is contagious.

His excitement is contagious.

Negative emotions can be contagious.

Smiling can be contagious.

The important pattern is:

X is contagious.


7. "Emotions Are Contagious"

This is probably the one sentence to remember from this lesson:

Emotions are contagious.

Meaning:

Someone else's emotional state can affect your emotional state.

Example:

"I wasn't even angry when I arrived, but everyone was arguing, and their anger affected me."

Or:

"She was so excited about the project that her enthusiasm became contagious."


8. Mirror Neurons — Easy Explanation

Don't worry about memorizing the scientific details.

Remember:

See → Mirror → Feel

For example:

Someone yawns

See yawning

Brain mirrors the action

You yawn


Someone is excited

See excitement

Brain responds to their emotional state

You feel excited


Someone is sad

See sadness

You emotionally respond

You may feel sad


9. "Walk Away Feeling..."

This is a very natural English phrase.

The lesson says someone might talk to a depressed person and:

walk away feeling sad

This means:

After leaving the interaction, you feel a certain way.

Learn the pattern:

I walked away feeling + emotion.

Examples:

"I walked away feeling frustrated."

"I walked away feeling motivated."

"I walked away feeling inspired."

"I walked away feeling drained."

This is much more natural than saying:

"After I left, I was feeling..."

Both work, but "I walked away feeling..." is a useful conversational chunk.


10. "People Around Me"

Another important chunk:

the people around me

Examples:

"The people around me affect my mood."

"I need to be careful about the people around me."

"I feel happier when I'm around positive people."

"Who are the people you spend the most time with?"


11. "Spend Time With"

Very important everyday phrase.

Don't memorize only spend.

Memorize:

spend time with someone

Examples:

"I spend a lot of time with my coworkers."

"Who do you spend most of your time with?"

"I want to spend more time with positive people."

"The people you spend time with can influence you."


12. "Be Exposed To"

This is slightly more advanced but very useful.

be exposed to something

means:

regularly come into contact with something.

Examples:

"We're constantly exposed to information."

"Children are exposed to different behaviors."

"I want to limit my exposure to negativity."

Very useful pattern:

limit my exposure to + noun

For example:

"I try to limit my exposure to negative news."


13. Important Phrases From the Lesson

Learn these as whole chunks, not individual words.

Influence

be influenced by someone

influence how I feel

have an influence on someone

Emotion

emotional state

strong emotional state

react emotionally

feel a certain way

People

the people around me

people I interact with

people I spend time with

Behavior

mirror someone's behavior

mimic someone's actions

copy someone's body language

Awareness

without realizing it

without being aware of it

at an unconscious level

become aware of something


14. The Question Pattern

The lesson finishes with several questions.

These are excellent patterns for speaking.

"Who is influencing you?"

Natural variations:

"Who influences you the most?"

"Who has the biggest influence on you?"

"Who do you spend the most time with?"


"What emotional state are they usually in?"

Natural variations:

"How are they usually feeling?"

"What's their usual mood?"

"Are they generally positive or negative?"


"How can I limit my exposure?"

Natural pattern:

How can I limit my exposure to...?

Examples:

"How can I limit my exposure to negative people?"

"How can I limit my exposure to stressful situations?"

"How can I spend less time consuming negative content?"


15. The Natural Speaking Sequence

Here's how I would organize the lesson in your mind.

① Basic idea

People influence each other.

② Brain

Our brains naturally learn from other people.

③ Mirroring

We sometimes mirror what we see.

④ Emotions

We can also mirror other people's emotional states.

⑤ Contagion

Emotions can be contagious.

⑥ Awareness

This can happen without us realizing it.

⑦ Personal application

So we need to pay attention to who we spend time with.

⑧ Action

We can limit our exposure to negative influences and surround ourselves with people who have the emotional state we want to experience.

That's the entire lesson in a logical speaking sequence.


16. Learn These 8 Sentences

If you want to speak naturally, don't memorize the whole textbook.

Memorize these:

1. The people around us can strongly influence how we feel.

2. Our brains are designed to learn from other people.

3. We naturally mirror the behavior we observe.

4. We can also mirror other people's emotional states.

5. Emotions can be contagious.

6. This can happen without us even realizing it.

7. That's why it's important to pay attention to who we spend time with.

8. We can limit our exposure to negative influences and surround ourselves with people who make us feel the way we want to feel.

If you can say these eight sentences comfortably, you understand the lesson and have useful conversational English.


17. Make It Personal — This Is Where Speaking Improves

Now replace the textbook examples with your own life.

Use this structure:

"I've noticed that..."

Examples:

"I've noticed that I'm strongly influenced by the people around me."

"I've noticed that when I'm around positive people, I become more positive."

"I've noticed that when I'm around negative people, I feel drained."

Then continue:

"For example..."

"For example, when someone is excited, I usually become excited too."

Then:

"That's why..."

"That's why I try to be careful about who I spend time with."

Then:

"I want to..."

"I want to spend more time with people who motivate me."

This gives you a natural speaking chain.


18. A Simple Conversation

Imagine someone asks:

"Do you think other people's emotions affect you?"

You can answer:

"Definitely. I think we're all influenced by the people around us, sometimes without even realizing it. For example, if I'm around someone who's really excited, I usually become excited too. But if I'm around someone who's constantly complaining or stressed, I can feel drained afterward. I think emotions are contagious, so I'm trying to become more aware of who I spend time with and how those people affect my emotional state."

Notice the sequence:

Answer → Explanation → Example → Contrast → Conclusion

That's a very useful pattern for natural speaking.


19. Your Memory Formula

Remember:

SEE → MIRROR → FEEL → NOTICE → CHOOSE

SEE

I observe someone's behavior or emotion.

MIRROR

My brain may automatically mirror it.

FEEL

I may start experiencing a similar emotion.

NOTICE

I become aware of what's happening.

CHOOSE

I choose who and what I want to expose myself to.


20. One-Minute Version

The main idea is that the people around us can strongly influence how we feel. Our brains are designed to learn from other people, and we sometimes naturally mirror the behavior and emotional states we observe.

For example, yawning can be contagious, and the same thing can happen with emotions. When someone is extremely excited, we may become excited too. When we're around someone who is very negative or stressed, we may walk away feeling drained or unhappy.

What is interesting is that this influence can happen without us consciously realizing it. That's why it's important to become aware of the people we interact with and the emotional states they tend to be in.

The practical lesson is simple: pay attention to who you spend time with. If certain people consistently make you feel anxious, negative, or exhausted, consider limiting your exposure to them. At the same time, try to surround yourself with people whose emotional state reflects how you want to feel.

In short, emotions are contagious, so choose your environment carefully.


21. Best Way to Practice This Lesson

Don't just read it.

Use 4 rounds.

Round 1 — Understand

Read:

People influence how we feel.

Then explain it in your own words.


Round 2 — Shadow

Read the sentence aloud and immediately repeat it.

"The people around us can strongly influence how we feel."

Repeat 5 times.


Round 3 — Personalize

Change it:

"My coworkers influence how I feel."

"My friends influence my mood."

"I become excited when people around me are excited."

Now the language becomes yours.


Round 4 — Speak Freely

Close the text and answer:

"How do other people's emotions affect me?"

Speak for 60 seconds.

Don't worry about perfect grammar.

Your goal is:

Idea → phrase → sentence → next sentence

rather than translating every sentence from your native language.


The 5 phrases I'd prioritize

If you only learn five, learn these:

"I'm influenced by the people around me."

"I tend to mirror other people's emotions."

"Emotions can be contagious."

"I walked away feeling..."

"I try to limit my exposure to negativity."

These five chunks can be reused in dozens of real conversations, which is much more valuable than memorizing the scientific details.

 

 

Absolutely. This lesson is a little more abstract than the previous ones, so the best way to learn it is to turn it into a simple story + speaking sequence.

The central idea is:

What you see on the surface may not be the real cause of what you feel.

Think:

Emotion → Reaction → Hidden belief → Root cause


1. Super Simple Summary

We often see only the surface problem.

For example:

"I'm angry."

But the anger may not be the real issue.

Underneath the anger there might be:

sadness → fear → insecurity → an old belief

The lesson calls this the "behind the scenes" of your life.

So remember:

Surface emotion ≠ always the root cause.


2. The Movie Metaphor

The lesson uses a movie analogy.

Imagine your life is a movie.

You can see the movie:

anger
anxiety
arguments
avoidance
stress

But there are things happening behind the scenes that you can't immediately see.

Those hidden things can include:

unconscious beliefs
past experiences
learned reactions
fears
emotional patterns

So:

What we see

Emotion / behavior

Behind the scenes

Belief / unconscious pattern

Deeper

Root issue


3. The Most Important Word: "Root"

Root

The root is the deeper cause of something.

Think about a tree:

Leaves

= visible emotions and behaviors

Trunk

= beliefs and patterns

Roots

= deeper experiences and beliefs

If you only cut the leaves, the tree grows them back.

Similarly:

If you only deal with the visible emotion, the underlying pattern may remain.


4. Important Vocabulary

Word

Easy meaning

Natural phrase

root cause

deepest/main cause

We need to find the root cause.

underlying

hidden underneath

There may be an underlying issue.

unconscious

not consciously known

It's an unconscious pattern.

driving force

what motivates behavior

What's the driving force behind this?

perceived

believed/felt to be true

perceived danger

endure

continue experiencing something difficult

I can't keep enduring this.

helplessness

feeling unable to change something

He developed learned helplessness.

powerless

feeling unable to control/change something

I feel powerless.

trapped

unable to escape/change

I feel trapped in this situation.

linger

remain for a long time

The problem continues to linger.

vulnerable

open to emotional harm

Sadness can make us feel vulnerable.

probe

investigate deeply

Keep probing until you find the cause.

core

central/deepest part

We need to get to the core issue.

identity

how you see yourself

Beliefs shape our identity.

environment

surroundings

Sometimes we need to change our environment.

confront

face something difficult

We need to confront the real issue.

avoid

stay away from something

We sometimes avoid difficult problems.


5. "Behind the Scenes"

This is the main metaphor.

Learn these phrases:

What's happening behind the scenes?

There may be something going on behind the scenes.

I need to look behind the scenes.

There's more going on beneath the surface.

That last phrase is particularly useful.

"Beneath the surface"

Means:

Something deeper is happening that isn't immediately obvious.

Example:

"His anger may be covering something deeper beneath the surface."


6. "Root Cause"

This is an extremely useful phrase.

Don't only memorize:

root

Learn:

find the root cause

understand the root cause

address the root cause

get to the root cause

Examples:

"We're treating the symptoms instead of addressing the root cause."

"I want to understand the root cause of my anxiety."

"We need to get to the root of the problem."


7. "Underlying Issue"

Another excellent phrase.

underlying issue

Meaning:

the deeper problem beneath the obvious problem.

Examples:

"Anger may be covering an underlying issue."

"We need to identify the underlying issue."

"There seems to be an underlying problem."


8. The Driving Force

This is an important concept.

A driving force is something that pushes or motivates you to think or act in a particular way.

The lesson says:

An unconscious belief can be the driving force behind our thoughts, feelings, and actions.

Learn:

the driving force behind something

Examples:

"Fear was the driving force behind his decision."

"What is the driving force behind this behavior?"

"I want to understand what's driving me."

That last phrase is very natural:

"What's driving me?"


9. Pain vs. Change

This is one of the deeper ideas in the lesson.

Sometimes people stay in a painful situation because:

Change feels even more painful.

Think:

Current pain

vs.

Fear of the unknown

If the current situation is familiar, your brain may think:

"At least I know what I'm dealing with."

So you stay.

Useful phrase:

fear of the unknown

Example:

"Sometimes we're more afraid of the unknown than the situation we're already in."


10. Learned Helplessness

Remember this simply:

I can't change it → so I stop trying to change it.

That's the basic idea.

Example:

Someone stays in a terrible situation for years.

Eventually they think:

"There's nothing I can do."

Then they stop looking for solutions.

That is the pattern the lesson calls learned helplessness.

Useful phrases:

I feel powerless.

I feel trapped.

There's nothing I can do.

I've stopped looking for a solution.


11. "Safe Problems" vs. "Quality Problems"

This is probably the hardest part of the lesson.

Make it simple.

Safe problem

A problem you can focus on instead of facing something much deeper.

Example:

"I'm angry about the dishes."

But perhaps the real issue is:

"I'm hurt because I don't feel appreciated."

So:

Dishes = safe problem

Feeling unappreciated = deeper/quality problem


12. Why Do We Choose Safe Problems?

Because they're easier.

Anger may feel easier than sadness.

Arguing may feel easier than vulnerability.

Complaining may feel easier than making a major life change.

So we think:

"I'll deal with this smaller problem."

while avoiding:

"I don't want to face the bigger problem."

This is the key idea:

We sometimes focus on manageable problems to avoid painful problems.


13. Excellent Phrase: "Rather Than"

The lesson uses this idea repeatedly.

rather than = instead of

Examples:

"I focus on anger rather than sadness."

"I complain rather than confront the real issue."

"I avoid the problem rather than deal with it."

Very useful for natural speaking.


14. The Husband Example — Easy Version

The woman kept creating arguments with her husband.

At first:

"Why am I always starting fights?"

Then she investigated.

Eventually she discovered:

As a child, she saw her parents argue and then make up.

So her brain learned:

argument → connection → love

Therefore, unconsciously:

She created conflict to feel connection.

Once she understood the pattern, she could find healthier ways to connect.

The lesson:

Sometimes we repeat behaviors because we learned to associate them with something we want.


15. The Most Important Question

The lesson repeatedly asks:

Why?

Don't stop after one why.

Use:

Why?

Why does that bother me?

Why do I feel that way?

Why is that important to me?

Where did I learn this?

What belief is underneath it?

What's the core issue?


16. The "Five Whys" Speaking Pattern

Imagine:

Emotion

"I'm angry."

Why?

"Because my partner ignored me."

Why does that bother me?

"Because I feel unimportant."

Why do I feel unimportant?

"Because I associate being ignored with not being valued."

Where did I learn that?

"Maybe I learned it from earlier relationships or experiences."

Now you're moving from:

anger

to

belief

to

root.


17. The Questions You Should Memorize

These are more important than the long explanation.

Question 1

How do I feel?

Question 2

Why do I feel this way?

Question 3

Why does this bother me?

Question 4

What belief is underneath this?

Question 5

Where did I learn this?

Question 6

Is there any benefit to reacting this way?

Question 7

What am I avoiding?

Question 8

What is the real issue?

Question 9

What is the root cause?


18. Natural Phrase: "What Am I Avoiding?"

This is a powerful everyday sentence.

Instead of asking only:

"Why am I angry?"

ask:

"What am I avoiding by being angry?"

Maybe:

"I'm avoiding feeling hurt."

or:

"I'm avoiding admitting that I'm scared."

or:

"I'm avoiding having a difficult conversation."

This is excellent English and a useful thinking pattern.


19. Key Phrases to Memorize

Learn these as whole chunks.

Finding the problem

get to the root of the problem

find the root cause

look beneath the surface

look behind the scenes

identify the underlying issue

get to the core of the issue


Understanding yourself

What is driving me?

What's driving this reaction?

Why am I reacting this way?

What belief is behind this?

Where did I learn this?

What am I avoiding?


Changing

address the root cause

deal with the real issue

change the pattern

find a healthier way to respond

break the cycle


20. The Natural Speaking Sequence

This is the sequence I recommend memorizing:

① Notice

I'm having a strong emotional reaction.

② Identify

What exactly am I feeling?

③ Question

Why am I feeling this way?

④ Go deeper

Why does this bother me?

⑤ Find the belief

What belief is underneath this reaction?

⑥ Find the origin

Where did I learn this?

⑦ Find the avoidance

What am I avoiding?

⑧ Find the root

What is the real issue?

⑨ Change

What can I do differently?

This is the whole lesson.


21. Memory Formula

Use:

F-E-E-B-O-R-C

You don't have to memorize those letters. Instead remember:

Feel → Explain → Explore → Belief → Origin → Root → Change

FEEL

What am I feeling?

EXPLAIN

Why am I feeling it?

EXPLORE

Why does it bother me?

BELIEF

What belief is underneath it?

ORIGIN

Where did I learn it?

ROOT

What's the real issue?

CHANGE

What can I do differently?


22. Important Natural Sentences

Practice these aloud:

"There may be more going on beneath the surface."

"I want to understand what's driving this reaction."

"Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong problem."

"What am I avoiding by reacting this way?"

"There may be an underlying belief behind this emotion."

"I need to get to the root of the problem."

"Where did I learn this pattern?"

"Is this reaction actually helping me?"

"What is the real issue here?"

"How can I respond differently next time?"

These are much more valuable for speaking than memorizing the original paragraphs.


23. A Natural Conversation Example

Someone asks:

"Why do you think you get angry so easily?"

You could say:

I think there may be more going on beneath the surface. When I get angry, I usually focus on what the other person did, but maybe that's not the real issue. I should probably ask myself why I'm reacting that way and what belief is behind the reaction. Maybe I'm feeling hurt or unappreciated, and anger is just easier for me to express. I think I need to get to the root of the problem instead of focusing on the safe problem.

Notice the natural sequence:

Observation → possibility → question → deeper explanation → conclusion


24. 60-Second Speaking Version

Sometimes what we see on the surface isn't the real cause of our emotions. There may be something happening behind the scenes in our unconscious mind. An emotion like anger or anxiety may be driven by an underlying belief or an old emotional pattern.

That's why it's important to look beneath the surface and ask ourselves why we're reacting the way we are. We can ask, "How do I feel? Why do I feel this way? Why does this bother me? What belief is underneath this? And where did I learn it?"

Sometimes we focus on a safe problem because it's easier than dealing with the real issue. We may express anger instead of admitting that we're hurt, or create conflict instead of asking for connection.

The goal is to get to the root of the problem. Once we understand what's really driving our reaction, we can choose a healthier way to respond.


25. How to Practice It for Natural Speech

Use one emotion from your own life and complete these sentences.

Step 1

"I feel ______."

Example:

"I feel anxious."

Step 2

"I think it's because ______."

"I think it's because I'm worried about failing."

Step 3

"But maybe there's more going on beneath the surface."

Step 4

"Why does this bother me?"

Step 5

"Maybe I believe ______."

Step 6

"Where did I learn this?"

Step 7

"What am I avoiding?"

Step 8

"The real issue might be ______."

Step 9

"So instead of ______, I could ______."

That final structure is particularly useful:

Instead of X, I could Y.

For example:

"Instead of getting angry, I could explain that I'm hurt."


The One Sentence to Remember

If you remember only one idea from this lesson, remember:

"When my emotional reaction doesn't seem to fit the situation, I should look beneath the surface and ask what is really driving it."

And for English, your most valuable chunks are:

"What's driving this?"

"What's going on beneath the surface?"

"What am I avoiding?"

"What belief is underneath this?"

"Where did I learn this?"

"What's the root cause?"

"I need to get to the core of the issue."

These phrases connect naturally, so you can use them to think and speak sequentially instead of translating word-by-word.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workplace Backstabbing False Story Defense Kit

clinical_app

Office words to memorize